Saturday, April 6, 2013

I can't believe we're already into April.  I feel like I just wrote that last post, but that was clear back in December.  This year is moving crazy fast.  We've already been on our cruise (which was fabulous), and tomorrow we leave for the yearly Chameleon Conference that Richard's job sends him to every year.  We've been to conferences in Las Vegas, San Diego, Amelia Island, Florida, and Fort Lauderdale.  This year we're headed back to Vegas.  I'm kind of glad it's only in Vegas this year.  We can drive, for one thing.  After the cruise trip, I've had my share of airport shenanigans.

I'm so glad spring is here.  I have a hard time with winter, so leaving a ton of snow to go to the Caribbean was incredible. We got to experience some once-in-a-lifetime-cross-it-off-my-bucket-list things. We went snorkeling in Costa Maya, Mexico.



We hiked through a rain forest (!) and tubed down some very beautiful cave systems in Belize City, Belize.
This was our view floating down the river after the caves.  I didn't want to leave.

We went to a place called Gumbalimba Park in Roatan, Honduras. This is where I made some new friends:
After this, we went to Tabyana Beach.  We spent about an hour there before going back to the boat, but I got to soak my feet in crystal clear water.  Heaven!


And for our last excursion, we got to see ancient Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico.  Yep, we got to see where they performed human sacrifice.  So crazy.  I admit I was a little preoccupied on this one, because on our way to the ruins, I biffed it down some stone stairs. It hurt.  In fact, I still can't kneel on my left knee.  But I was a trooper! :)  As an added bonus...these ruins are right near one of the most beautiful sights.

Seriously, looking at the water was like looking in my crayon box.  Dark blue, light blue, aquamarine, turquoise, blue-green.....they were all there and all so beautiful.  Definitely my favorite part.

Those were our excursions off the boat.  But on our boat, the Norwegian Star, we had a lot of fun, too.  We tried to be involved, and boy, did we succeed.  By the end of our week, Richard and I were being recognized quite a bit!  He participated in a karaoke contest, we played trivia, and we went to some shows. But the reason we were so well known is because of an activity  called "The Perfect Couple."  Richard signed us up, and then one of the cruise staff announced that this wasn't a question and answer game.  This was physical challenge stuff.  We were dressed up because we'd had formal pictures taken and I was crossing my fingers we wouldn't get picked.  And lo and behold, they called our names first.

I don't have any pictures, so I'll try to explain the best I can.

We were competing against two other couples for the title of The Perfect Couple.  We had to complete challenges and we were being timed.  Sounds easy, huh. Keep in mind there are a few hundred people watching this.

Challenge #1)  I had to kneel behind Richard and take a lemon out of an ice bucket, put it up his pants leg, clear across  (yeah, they were oooooohing and cheering when I got halfway), and down his other pants leg.

Challenge #2) This time I was blindfolded and had to hold a big broomstick between my legs.  I had to walk across the stage and try to insert the broom handle (still between my legs) into a roll of toilet paper that Richard had between his legs.  Like I said, we were dressed up, so Richard was wearing his slacks....the slippery kind. The toilet paper wouldn't hold still.  I imagine he was sweating bullets at the sight of me charging toward him with a huge stick.

Challenge #3)  I had to sit in a chair holding a cup between my knees. Richard was blindfolded now, and had a bottle of water between his legs.  I had to guide him and he had to fill up the cup by squeezing his legs together.  I got all wet. :) At first he didn't realize that there was a spout in it, so he was splurting water out before the game started.  Without thinking about it, I blurted out  (and into the microphone) "No, babe, that's a little premature."  HAHAHAHA I'm naughty but it got a really good laugh.

Challenge #4) This is the one where we really won the audience over.  Richard was in the chair and I had to run across the stage with a balloon between my legs, then pop it in his lap.  Then I had to run back for a second balloon, run back (with it between my legs), and pop it against his back.  Then the same thing, against his chest.  Finally, the last one, Richard had to lay on the floor and I had to pop it however.  So I ran. And I jumped on him.  HAHAHAHA there were people cheering, and some had their mouths open wide.  I mean, really, I'm not a small person.  They couldn't believe I'd slam into him like that to pop a balloon.  But I did. And it worked.  And Richard took it like a man. :)  It was hilarious.

They ended up naming all of us The Perfect Couple, which was nice.  Then they said to wave to the camera, because not only did they film this, it was being shown on TV in all the cruise rooms.  That was a real treat, let me tell you.  Turns out my in-laws watched it a couple times.  AND we made the end-of-cruise "best of" video that they showed in all the public areas on the last day.  Every time I looked up, BAM! I was jumping onto Richard to pop that balloon!  Too funny. I wish I had pictures. Wait, no I don't. I don't need to see that again.

Before we went to the airport, we took a bus tour of New Orleans.  Some of the stops were really interesting (the cemetery), knowing the areas had been hit by Hurricane Katrina, but for me, New Orleans was my least favorite part of the trip.  Actually, I lie. We got delay after delay in Denver, so that was my least favorite.

I really miss looking out my window and seeing the ocean (or even the Mississippi River).  I miss being able to explore new places, foods, and experiences with Richard.  But I'm happy for the memories, and we definitely made a ton.  We're already saving our pennies to go on another cruise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lyndsie, that all sounds amazing!! I was laughing so hard at your story!! I wish I could've seen it! :) And, I've always wanted to see New Orleans, too bad it wasn't up to expectations. But it sounds like such an amazing trip and I hope I get to do that someday!! So fun!

Lyndsie said...

Thanks Cali! We get to give New Orleans another shot next year and I'm pretty sure that we will like it lots better.

Joshua said...

This wasn't just a nice getaway..

This seemed more like an adventure to remember.

Love the pics-