Friday, April 12, 2013

Donny, Vegas, and a Sad Goodbye

We spent most of this week in Las Vegas, for Richard's yearly work conference.  They mix it up every year, so this is only the second Vegas conference in 5 years.  Next year is New Orleans, Louisiana.

It was rainy and very windy, so the pool (the super cool one that has a water slide going through a shark tank) was closed for 3 of the 4 days we were there.  That was okay though, I guess.  We had enough to keep us busy.  Richard was in class from 9 to 5:30 every day, except for a 2-hour lunch break.  We were able to score nearly half-priced tickets to Donny and Marie (which fulfilled a four year promise to me from Richard!)  as well as tickets to Gordie Brown. 


"Donny and Marie" has been voted the #1 show, performer and singer (Donny) in Vegas.  I can see why.  They had a lot of energy and humor in addition to packing their show full of music.  Granted, I wasn't expecting (and could have done without) Marie Osmond doing a mash-up of "Walk This Way," "These Boots Were Made for Walking," and "Any Man of Mine,"  but hey, whatever.  She redeemed herself by performing one of my favorite songs. I had no idea Marie could do opera. And so well!  

But let's be honest.  We went to see Donny.  He did not disappoint.  Even Richard liked it, and that's saying a lot  (Poor Donny is known as "Big-Head Square-Chin" around these parts). My favorites included his performances of "Close Every Door" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and "Moon River"  (skip to 1:30 in the video). He did this as a tribute to Andy Williams, and he nailed it.  I didn't cry or anything, but I did get a little choked up.  But I'm pretty sure a lot of other people did, too. I was surprised he didn't perform "Twelfth of Never" or "Go Away, Little Girl,"  opting instead to do "Dynamite" by Tao Cruz, but again, whatever.

Overall review: If you like the Osmonds, you'll like the show.  I was expecting at least something about their brothers, but I guess Donny singing "Crazy Horses" is as close as I got.  I hate that song. I always have. It gives me the heebie-jeebies, I don't know.  It gave Richard the giggles, though, so this time it wasn't that bad. :)  We were only able to go because we found discount tickets the day of the show.  Our seats were really good because the theater is pretty small. Unless you're a superfan, the cheap seats should serve you well.  

Gordie Brown is an impressionist-musician-comedian that performs at the Golden Nugget.  We went because the GN gave us discount tickets when we checked in.  His routine had a lot of funny parts, and we laughed often, but it also had some rather low humor that just went on and on.  We were ready for it to end, so take that as you will.  

Last time we stayed on Fremont Street, the concerts they had nightly on the big jumbo screen thing lasted about 20 minutes.  We only saw one this time, The Doors, and it lasted about seven minutes.  That was surprising.  

We were planning on playing Bingo the last day, but we just didn't have the oomph to stay in Vegas any longer than we had to.  We were just ready to get home.  It wasn't a bad trip, and I did win 50 bucks playing the slots (but then of course I lost it a few days later), but Vegas just doesn't really appeal to us. 

While we were gone, Richard's family's cat Korkie passed away.  She was 18 years old and we knew it was coming, but it still hit us pretty hard.  Richard's mom talked to us the night before and whispered in Korkie's ear that we loved her.  She passed away at home, and I'm glad she didn't have to get euthanized.  I'll miss her.  When we first met, we didn't really get along.  She was the first cat I just didn't care for.  But then we overcame our differences and got really close.  Richard and I considered bringing her to our house, but it just wasn't meant to be.  I'm glad she's out of pain, but being in that house just won't be the same without her.  That's one reason we were so ready to be home--  we wanted to come home and love on our "kids," our cats Tony and Rock. 

I love vacations, but I'm glad to be home.  Now I'm looking forward to planting our garden, going fishing, and everything else I love about summer. 




1 comment:

Joshua said...

Very cool that you got to see him live...and that you had a chance, in a way, to say goodbye to an old friend..