Wednesday, January 18, 2012

You were a true friend...

                                                                     


One of Richard's friends and coworkers, Captain Jim Strong, passed away on Saturday.  I don't think I ever met him.  However, I feel like I knew him at least a little because of how Richard talked about him.  Stories of how funny he was, how nice he was, and how Richard liked to just talk and laugh with him.

I made cookies for Richard to take to work for Christmas.  I think Jim enjoyed them the most, so we gave him the recipe.  Richard took a cake I'd made to work to some meeting last week.  I specifically asked what Jim thought about it because he had become my favorite to bake for.  I'm still going to make treats for Richard to take to work, but I admit I'm going to miss hearing about how Jim critiqued them.  Mostly, I'm going to miss seeing Richard's eyes light up when I ask about Jim or laugh about something he had said.  It sucks to lose a friend. Especially when goodbye comes too soon.

Rest in peace, Captain Strong. Thanks for being such a good friend to Richard.


You know, I've only known Jim for a short time. It seems like just yesterday he was starting on at Animal Services as a reserve officer. With his stellar record, it didn't surprise me when he became captain after our former captain retired. I don't recall exactly when I met Jim, but it can't have been more than a couple of years ago. 


Over the past number of months, I got a lot of opportunities to sit down and talk with him, usually while fixing his computer. I'm not one to really get close to people at work, at least I try not to, but Jim was a different story. He may have cursed like a sailor but there was something about him that just put you at ease. It's like no matter what you were talking about, he was genuinely interested in hearing what you had to say. 


Jim and I shared a love of food. We were always discussing good restaurants and good recipes. As Lyndsie mentioned, whenever she made something fabulous for me to take to work, I made sure that Jim got some, just so he could tell me what he thought about it. And oh how complimentary Jim was. I can't quote his exact language (I don't want this page to be rated R, after all) but when I shared Lyndsie's coconut cookies around Christmas he just went on and on about how great they were. Of course we got him the recipe as soon as possible.


You know, for all his gruffness, Jim cared a lot more than most people. He was passionate about his work and just had a way of making you smile. It was like he'd seen the worst in people and found the best in others anyway. 


As I mentioned, I didn't really get close to Jim until recently but he already felt like an old friend. There are only a handful of people in my life about whom I can say that. He was a rare treasure, one of the few really good people I have known, and his loss has been difficult to bear. 


My thoughts and prayers go out to his family who have lost so much more than a friend - Jim, you will be missed. Thank you for everything. You were a true friend. 


-Richard

1 comment:

Cali said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.