Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17

My Grandpa Keith....

...could yodel.  Taught us how to do woodburning projects.  Played cards with us.  Took us to movies.  Let us get 3 books at a time at the bookstore.  Bought the gum I got trick-or-treating every year for a dime a piece.  Served in the Army.  Was born into a large family and helped take care of his siblings.  Worked in the  Park City silver mines for a while.  Was a truck driver for 33 years.  Had a cleft in his chin.  Had piercing blue eyes.  Had a voice I can still hear in my head.  Loved to hike and be outdoors.  Went camping with us.  Had an awesome walking stick with holes in it so the wind would make music.  Was very generous with both time and money.  Had a great sense of humor.  Was easy to talk to.  Loved the Utah Jazz.  Could carve and paint beautiful animals.  Helped Dad sheetrock the basement and build the shed....and oh yeah, he only had one arm. His specialty was cottage cheese and a baked potato.  Loved turkey legs.  Believed in us.  Made us feel loved.  Let me cheat at "Ants in the Pants."  Loved the kids who went to the preschool behind his house.  Was a true friend.  Endured surgery to remove a kidney due to cancer when I was in 9th grade.  Taught us about determination and hard work.  Liked to move...he and Grandma seemed to build a new house every 5 years or so.  Loved to laugh.  Gave people second and third and fourth chances.  Loved his children. Loved his grandchildren.  Hated his prosthetic arm and never used it, so Grandma filled it with candy on holidays.  His song with Grandma was "You Are My Sunshine."  Waited in the car while my Grandma and aunt shopped every Saturday.  Came to my high school graduation.  Let us listen to our music in the car.  Took us to family reunions.  Wiped away my tears when he told us the cancer had come back.  Is never far from my thoughts.  Passed away ten years ago today.  ALWAYS made me proud to be his granddaughter.

I miss you every day.

3 comments:

Richard Burgener said...

Lyndsie, this is so beautiful. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet your amazing grandpa but from what you say about him, I can see a bit of him in you.

Joshua said...

This is a lovely tribute, kid.

..and I still love the bit about the candy "dish". :)

Cali said...

He sounds like an amazing man!