Monday, May 6, 2013

I attended a funeral today.  It was a beautiful service for someone who was, by all accounts, rather extraordinary.  I didn't know him at all; sadly, I don't even recall if he came to my wedding.  But he was Richard's uncle, so of course I went with him. Naturally, being at the funeral left me wishing I had known him.  He sounds like a really good guy.

But I think what really hit me today was the part at the cemetery.  The sky was overcast, the wind was blowing, and rain drops were falling. And without faltering or even any hint that they noticed the weather, several elderly men stood in a line.  They were members of the American Legion, and they were there to give Richard's uncle his military tribute.

I've seen this before, and on several occasions, but it never fails to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.  They stood up so straight, even the ones who had to make a little bit more effort not to hunch.  There was real emotion on their faces.  They took this seriously, and when they each saluted the flag, a few grew misty-eyed.  And I wondered how many times they've done this.  How many fellow soldiers have they honored in this way, and it still brings the tears.

After the 21 shots had been fired, the familiar notes of TAPS began to play.  There was just something about it today, being in the rain and the wind that made this time different than all the others.  When the final note sounded, it was almost haunting in its melancholy.  It was very emotional and I was so glad I was there to be a part of it....even if I was only huddled in a crowd of my husband's mostly-unknown-to-me extended family, choking back sobs and feeling such a love and appreciation for these little old men I don't know.

I'm not sure why the patriotic aspects of things affect me like that....but I'm glad they do.

No comments: