Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June 26

My grandma, Camille Flowers Hadley....

...sewed beautiful dresses and summer outfits for her grandkids. Would only drink out of a glass...no plastic for her. Loved pansies and butterflies.  Earned a Silver Beaver Award for her incredible service in Scouts.  Wasn't shy about telling you what she thought.  Played games with us.  Liked to go camping with us.  Loved her Coke in a glass with lots of ice.  Watched "As The World Turns" and "Guiding Light."  Was a sucker for glazed donuts.  Remembered my friends and asked about them regularly.  Made the best hotcakes I've ever had.  Was always worried about her hair.  Always asked if I went to church on Sunday.  Loved "her boys," the BYU Cougars athletic teams.  Shook her cane at me when I was acting up. Loved her husband, children,  grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews...everyone.  Was known as "Aunt Minky" to many people. Wasn't above trying to create words if it would help her out in Scrabble.   Made the best desserts...coconut crisp cookies, a variety of pies.  Shared a birthday with my niece.  Always made sure to wear lipstick, even if she was just staying home.  Scared us when we were driving because she'd gasp at something totally unrelated to the road. Had the biggest and best holiday displays. Loved going to church with my mom and watching General Conference at my sister's. Made us quilts from scraps of the dresses she made us, and upon that quilt, she stitched our achievements throughout our school years. This was given to us for our high school graduations.  Loved her children's and grandchildren's spouses like they were her own kids. Had beautiful but somewhat hard to read penmanship.Made impressive scrap books in the later years of her life.  Called me "Poopsie."  Came to our recitals, plays, spelling bees, etc. Loved the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  Played countless games of Aggravation, Scrabble, The Barbie Game, and Peggity with us. Had a beautifully strong testimony of Jesus Christ.  Passed away one year ago today and is so very missed.

I can't believe it's been one year.  I swear it's been so much longer, but then again I could swear it only happened a few days ago.  It's a weird world without Grammy here.   

 She'd be so proud of Richard for graduating from WGU and of Sid for graduating from nursing school.  She'd be so excited about these new babies that are joining her family.  She'd love seeing her little great-grandchildren grow into wonderful people.

I can still hear her voice, and see the twinkle in her eyes.  I can still see just a hint of lipstick on her teeth and hear her cheering on our Cougars. I still watch The Lawrence Welk Show and now it's not just in memory of Grandpa, but in memory of Grandma, too. The cemetery, hard enough to go to before, now packs a double punch by seeing their names and dates side by side.  The tears still come, the pain is still sharp, and the loss is still deeply felt.  I miss her on sunny days.  I miss her when I use her recipes.  I miss her when I listen to the choir or see her handwriting or just remember.  Actually, I just miss her.  Every day.


No comments: